|July 2, 1932
O.K. Allen Tumor Clinic Opened
The O.K. Allen Tumor Clinic, situated in the Shreveport Charity Hospital, was the first cancer clinic in Louisiana. The Clinic, named in honor of incumbent Louisiana Governor O.K. Allen, was established under the auspices of the American College of Surgeons. The need for a cancer clinic was prompted by the increasing incidence of the disease. In the 1920s, cancer was the eighth leading cause of death and just ten years later was ranked second.
Click here for statistics from the first two years of the Clinic’s operation showing the type of cancer, condition when admitted, treatment, and final outcome.