|August 8, 1889
Shreveport Charity Hospital Relocated to Texas Avenue and Murphy Street
The Shreveport Charity Hospital was relocated to the new building on Texas Avenue and Murphy Street. The hospital was housed in a frame building, 215 ft. long, 38 ft. wide and 2 stories high. The Administration Building was in the center, with two wards on either side. It is difficult to say exactly how many beds were in this new facility, since written accounts set the number anywhere from 40 to 80 beds. Hospital staff included Dr. D.M. Clay, surgeon; Dr. Francis Scrimzeour Furman, intern; and Mrs. Tabor, who served as the matron.
Click here for more information on this building.